Saturday, December 03, 2005

Organized religion vs. Paganism

I really hate to put in (vs.) because it should not be so. If the world's major religions and all those that could be listed under paganism would be honest, I think the truth is all steal and or borrow from each other.
That said, I would like to stand up for paganism for the simple reason it is the bedrock and cornerstone of all belief systems.
The mistake, I believe, organized religions have made is their tendency to distance themselves from the flesh and blood they are. It's as though there is something shameful about being human.
For myself, I try to blend paganism (Witcraft) with Christianity in this way.
Witchcraft connects me with all of creation. Death is not supreme, but is rather the element life uses to contantly evolve and reinvent itself.
Christianity offers more guidance than simply saying do what you will as long as you don't harm anyone. Christianity takes that very worthy and basic law, and goes beyond by asking you to help your neighbor - feed the hungry, cloth the naked, etc.
It is a shame that the two don't get along. Though I must say (and regret to add) the fault seems to be more on the side of the Christians than it is on the side of the Witches.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home