Sunday, July 02, 2006

Let Freedom Ring

Well, here we are. The Fourth of July is almost here. The Spirit of 76. Give me liberty of give me death.
But do we still feel that way? Did the spirit of freedom die on 911 when "everything changed"?
Maybe I am just getting old. I turn 64 this year. Do I have a faulty memory. But it does seem to me the average American has less freedom today than was had back in the 40's, 50's and 60's when I was much younger than I am today.
What seems really odd to me is how leaders in our government seem to want us to believe this is a very dangerous world and we might need to give up some of our freedoms and privacy in order to be protected. This seems odd because the threat today is far less than what it was during the Cold War.
In my mind, the so called War on Terrorism just cannot compete with WW II and the Cold War.
You can't blame this odd state of affairs just on Bush or the Republican Party. When it comes to taking away our freedoms, the Democrats are busy taking away one half of our freedoms while the Republicans work hard to take away the other half. I guess you could call that a real bi-partisan effort to take away all our freedoms.
Have a happy and free Fourth. Maybe exercise your freedom by breaking a few laws like set off some firecrackers, smoke a cigarette where you are not allowed - or - in the name of shameless self promotion - read my book, The Dancing Valkyrie, which has a lot of sex, violence and four-letter words.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home