Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Writing in the Adirondacks

From a personal point of view, I like living in the Adirondacks. From a writer's point of view, especially one who rejects any consideration of what may offend someone somewhere, there are times when I wish I were back living in the New York of the 60's.
Having recently published two very different books has cristalized these two different feelings.
I can easily go out and get my hiking book, "Adirondack Hikes in Hamilton County," into local book stores and other retail outlets.
But with my vampire novel, "The Dancing Valkyrie," the opposite is true - and this in spite of the fact that much of the action in the novel takes place here in the Adirondacks.
I know that if I were living in New York, the success of "The Dancing Valkyrie" would climb while the success of "Adirondack Hikes in Hamilton County" would decline.
Also, living in New York would provide many more outlets to sell the books.
But I like living where I am so I struggle forward, hoping for a little witchcraft magic to help "The Dancing Valkyrie" to find its market.
The book is not for everyone. It is not for those who wouldn't read a vampire novel if it were given to them. It is not for those who "become offended" by explicit sex (mostly lesbian), a plethora of four-letter words and some graphic violence.
Yet behind behind of all these potentially offensive things and what makes, I believe, these offensive things neccessary, is the primary idea I had when writing the book. What might vampires really be like if they were to exist and if they were created by God.
Perhaps that is the most offensive thing some will find in the book - and it is there I do mean to offend.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey what a great site keep up the work its excellent.
»

2:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm I love the idea behind this website, very unique.
»

6:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home